- Access and use the MSIG Singapore online service on computers with the latest operating system security patches, anti-virus, anti-malware and firewall software.
- Please install and update the anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software in the personal computers and mobile devices.
- Remove file and printer sharing in computers, especially when they are connected to the internet.
- Log off online session when not in use.
- Clear browser cache after the online session.
- Make regular backup of critical data.
- Consider the use of encryption technology to protect highly sensitive or confidential information.
- Do not install software or run programs of unknown origin.
- Delete junk or chain emails.
- Do not open email attachments or click on links in emails from strangers.
- Do not disclose personal, financial or credit card information to little-known or suspect websites.
- Do not use a computer or device which cannot be trusted.
- Do not use public or internet cafe computers to access online services or perform financial transactions.
- Before using MSIG Singapore online services, always ensure that the website you are accessing belongs to MSIG Singapore. The website URL should bear our domain names (i.e. www.msig.com.sg, genlinkplus.msig.sg, genlink.msig-asia.com, e-insure2.msig.sg, e-insure.msig.sg, infinity.msig.sg and emerald.msig.sg).
- Before submitting any information, ensure that there is a "lock" icon on the browser's status bar. It means that your information is secure during transmission.
Important Tips on Password Protection
- Do not choose a password that can be easily guessed by others, such as your name, telephone number, NRIC number, User ID, dictionary words or other associated data. You should select a unique combination that you can easily remember, consisting of at least 8 characters including a combination of numbers, symbols, uppercase letters and lowercase letters.
- Do not share or divulge your password to anyone, including MSIG Insurance. MSIG Insurance will never ask for your password.
- Do change your password regularly.
- Memorise your password and do not save your password on your desktop computer.
- Ensure that nobody is observing you when you enter your login information.
Security Tips on Website Security Certificate Warnings
What you should do when you encounter SSL Certificate/ Website Security Certificate warnings?
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is the standard security technology for encrypted connection between our server and your browser. This connection ensures that all data passed between our server and your browser remains private and integral. SSL is an industry standard and is used in the protection of online transactions.
The secure connection has an encryption key assigned to it in the form of a SSL certificate. If you encounter the certificate warning or certificate error message, please log off immediately and please notify MSIG Insurance immediately at tel: (65) 6827 7665 or email us.
What is phishing?
When an organisation is falsely claiming to be an established legitimate organisation in order to illegally obtain your sensitive personal information such as your ID, password, credit card or other financial account numbers, this is known as 'phishing' (pronounced 'fishing'). They will then use the information you have provided to to access your account for illegal purposes. The most common way of phishing is through email.
How to protect yourself from phishing?
- Always enter our domain name (i.e. www.msig.com.sg, genlinkplus.msig.sg, genlink.msig-asia.com, e-insure2.msig.sg, e-insure.msig.sg, infinity.msig.sg and emerald.msig.sg) into your browser when logging into MSIG Insurance's website.
- Always ensure that the Online Services URL is correct before you enter your login information.
- Before submitting any information, ensure that there is a "lock" icon on the browser's status bar. It means your information is secure during transmission.
- Double click on the "lock" icon to verify that the website digital certificate is issued to the Company whose site you intend to visit.
- Completely logoff the website after use.
Report a phishing site or suspicious email.
If you suspect that any phishing scam or fraudulent e-mail or fake website is directed at you as a customer or potential customer of MSIG Insurance, please notify MSIG Insurance immediately at tel: (65) 6827 7665 or email us.
What is Spyware?
Spyware is any technology or software residing on your PC that gathers user information while on the Internet and reports them to third parties. It is designed to exploit the infected system for commercial gain. Typical tactics toward this goal include unsolicited pop-up advertisements; theft of personal information (such as customer PINs, passwords, usernames, credit card numbers, account identifiers, financial transactions and other confidential data); monitoring of web-browsing activity for marketing purposes; or routing of HTTP requests to advertising sites. In most cases, Spyware is installed without the user's awareness or informed consent.
What are the common symptoms of a Spyware infection?
- An increase in pop-up ads on your web browser
- Often being re-directed to unfamiliar web page
- New icon appears on your web browser toolbars
- Unexplained changes of home page settings
- Random windows error message appears
- Computer processing speed slows down
- Frequent computer crashes
How to protect yourself against Spyware?
- Be wary of banners, advertisements and pop-ups while surfing the Internet. Refrain from clicking on these advertisements.
- Avoid downloading software from unknown sources or when the licensing agreement is difficult to understand after reading it carefully.
- Do not open email attachments from untrustworthy sources.
- Do not play movie or music files from unknown sources.
- Update and patch your operating system and web browser regularly.
- Install and regularly update anti-spyware, virus protection and firewall software.
- Change your password on a regular basis.
- Adjust browser settings to prompt you whenever a website tries to install a new program.